Monday, February 16, 2009

Teaching The Kite Runner


I just finished my second reading of The Kite Runner. I guess one of the pitfalls of teaching high school English is the constant debate about whether to reread, each year, whatever novel you are teaching. Since I have an incredibly poor memory and struggle to recall details that help support theme development, I usually reread everything--I mean EVERYTHING. Revisiting this book, however, was not a chore. I just love it! I love that I still cry at parts and still feel overwhelming joy at others. I guess what makes this book even more intriquing is the fact that these places, such as Kabul and Peshawar are still in the news today. This quality makes the book incredibly believable and heartwrenching. Fortunatley, the AP gurus of the world deemed this book worthy enough to be placed on the lit exam. Because of that, I have decided to teach it.

Now last year when I did NOT teach it, I had seven students voluntarily read it because I wouldn't shut up about it. They all loved it, even the non-reader in class! He even wrote about it on the exam, despite the fact that we had not studied it closely.

this year, teaching this book has brought a reluctant class into the literary world and, get this, they are enjoying it. Again, this year, my non-reader is reading and volunteering to answer questions in class. This year our Socratic discussions are energized and thoughtful. This year, with this book, I have shown students that reading can teach you practical lessons as well as change your heart. Most of the class struggle with the realization that when this book ends, 9/11 has just taken place. They remember that, and now they understand the background of some of these nations that they so often heard about in the news. The children now suffer like Amir and Hassan and they laugh and play like Amir and Hassan. The adults aren't all extremists; they now seem more like Baba and Rahim Khan and the beloved Ali. What was once a distant place with unknonwn customs has now become a world with real people -- people who have the same emotions, actions, and reactions.

This book has taught my class that redemption is necessary and possible; that one can do the impossible and unthinkable; that life does go on despite incredible challenges.

I truly believe I could teach only this book and my students would learn just as much as they would from reading 1,000 others! If you haven't read it, you should. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment